History of Australian Capital Territory
1820 - Joseph Wild, James Vaughan and Charles Throsby Smith came across the area of Canberra during their discovery of the Limestone Plains.
1821 - Discovery of Murrumbidgee.
1824 - Joshua John Moore had land granted on the Limestone Plains, and named the property ´Canberry´, after overhearing Aborigines using the word. "Kamberra" is the Aboriginal word for meeting place.
1845 - Saint John´s Church of England was completed.
1859 - The post office was opened.
1869 - Goulburn was linked with rail.
1876 - Yass was linked by rail.
1901 - Federation.
1911 - The area of the Australian Capital Territory was taken from the state of New South Wales.
1913 - Canberra was formally named as the Official Capital.
1914 - Rail extended to Queanbeyan.
1928 - Parliament House moved to Canberra from Melbourne.
1941 - Australian War Memorial was built.
1954 - The Australian-American Memorial was built.
1962 - King Avenue Bridge was constructed.
1962 - The new town of Woden was formed.
1963 - Commonwealth Avenue Bridge was built.
1965 - Anzac Parade was developed.
- The Royal Australian Mint was opened.
1968 - The National Library was opened.
1970 - National Botanic Gardens, Carillon, Captain Cook Memorial was opened.
1973 - Tuggeranong become the third town.
1975 - Guingahlin was the forth town.
1988 - The Australian Capital Territory (Self Government Act) was passed.
Now one of the top on-line publishers in the world, LifeTips offers tips to millions of monthly visitors. Our mission mission is to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. Expert writers earn dough for what they know. And exclusive sponsors in each niche topic help us make-it-all happen.